Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Creamy White Chicken Chili

I wasn't going to post this one because I forgot to take pictures last night. However, I've had a request and I would hate to disappoint anyone. We had some amazing white chicken chili for dinner last night! It was creamy, just a little spicy, and so good there were barely enough leftovers for lunch today. Frankly, I don't think it needs anything else, but you could serve it with a nice crusty bread and a salad of crisp greens.

This one is super easy to make and it tastes like you cooked all day! No one has to know that it's virtually no work at all!

The recipe calls for canned beans, but I keep beans in my freezer just for recipes like this. It's a trick I learned on the food network. I buy the dried beans and cook them in my pressure cooker. After cooking, I freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet then store them in Ziploc bags in varying quantities. 1 can of beans is about 1 1/2 cups, so for this recipe I used 3 cups of white beans from the freezer.

White Chicken Chili

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 medium onion, small diced
1 T vegetable oil
2 cans cannellini (or other white) beans, drained
14.5 ounces chicken broth
2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar, plus more for topping
sour cream for topping
 

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and chopped onion and saute for about six minutes, or until the chicken is seared and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another three minutes.

Add the beans, spices, chicken broth and green chilies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for thirty minutes. For thicker chili, dissolve 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch in 1 tsp water and stir into boiling chili.

Turn off the heat and add the 1/2 cup cheese and the half & half.  Serve with additional cheddar cheese and sour cream to top.


No comments:

Post a Comment